Covid-19 (Coronavirus Update) Preparedness for NEMT Providers
This email is intended to provide you with information on the coronavirus (COVID 19), including recommendations on ways to avoid the spread of disease.
What is Coronavirus?
- Coronaviruses are a type of virus. There are many different kinds, and some cause disease. A newly identified type has caused a recent outbreak of respiratory illness now called COVID-19 that started in China.
How can I protect myself?
- Please review the CDC’s guide on how to protect yourself and your surroundings from Covid -19.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home if you are sick, except to get medical care.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow.
- Clean AND disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily. This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks.
- Please ensure you keep a bottle of hand sanitizer or sanitizing wipes with over 60% alcohol in your vehicles and use them frequently.
How is Coronavirus spread?
The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.
- Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
- Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
What are the signs and symptoms of Coronavirus?
Individuals infected with coronavirus have displayed the following symptoms:
- Mild to severe respiratory illness
- Difficulty breathing
For the latest on the signs and symptoms of coronavirus, please visit the CDC’s website HERE.
Where can I find out more information?
More information can be found at the following CDC links:
- Prevention, Treatment of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Hand-washing - Clean Hands Save Lives
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Governor’s Press Releases
- Guidance to Nursing Homes
Anyone with questions relating to coronavirus can call 2-1-1 or text "CTVOID" to 898211. The 2-1-1 hotline is available 24 hours a day.
How does this impact transportation providers?
- Transportation Providers are required to fulfill any trip that they have accepted or confirmed.
- Please ensure that if any of your drivers are experiencing flu-like symptoms, they are not assigned to any trips and are directed to quarantine.
- If you determine a member is visibly sick, ask the member to stay home and please contact Veyo at 877.771.5972 to report the concerns.
- Please ensure that you are cleaning, disinfecting and sanitizing your vehicles everyday.
- Please proceed with extreme caution when picking up members from inside facilities. We recommend that the member be brought out by a worker from the facility, however if that is not the case, please comply with any facility-wise directives or internal policies in such cases.
Resources to share with members that are experiencing symptoms
Please reach out to documentsCT@veyo.com or call our dispatch line at 877.771.5972 if you have any questions or concerns.